Flori Dizucca Ripieni
SQUASH BLOSSOMS STUFFED WITH RICOTTA
Squash plants produce pretty yellow blossoms, some of which will be pollinated and produce fat, little squash babies that emerge from the blossom’s
base. These are the female zucchini blossoms. The other blossoms — those long, gorgeous male blooms — won’t produce a fruit and may as well be enjoyed by you! Squash blossoms can be found at farmers markets and specialty grocers. Buon Appetito!
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pound plum tomatoes, finely
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup rough chopped flat Italian parsley
- 2/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, divided
- 12 to 16 large zucchini squash blossoms
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chilled club soda
- About 3 cups vegetable oil for frying
Cook garlic and red pepper flakes in oil in a 2-quarts heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring, until garlic is golden, about 30
seconds. Add tomatoes, broth or water, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally until thickened, about 20 minutes, then add basil.
1. Stir together ricotta, yolk, parsley, 1/3 cup parmesan, and 1/8 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
2. Carefully open each blossom and fill with about 2 rounded teaspoon ricotta, gently twisting end of blossom to enclose
filling. An easy way is to use a pastry bag or zip lock bag and cut the corner.
3. To make the batter, whisk together flour, remaining 1/3 cup parmesan, 1/4 teaspoon salt and club soda in a small bowl.
4. In a large deep frying pan or heavy duty skillet, heat 1/2 inch oil to 375-degrees. Dip half of blossoms in batter to thinly coat. Fry coated blossoms, turning once until golden, 1- to 2-minutes total. Use tongs to transfer blossom to paper towels to drain. Coat and fry remaining blossoms. Allow time for oil to recover to 375-degrees.
5. Season blossoms with fresh cracked black pepper and coarse salt. Pour red sauce on the bottom of a large platter and carefully stack the fried blossoms